Saturday, February 14, 2009

Ice Storm


So, we had a big ice storm at the end of January during which we were without power for 5 days. This was better than Hurricane Ike in September (yes, hurricane) when we lost power for a week. The ice storm was very beautiful: everything had a layer of ice and looked like a scene out of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. The ice was so heavy, however, that the poor trees could not bear it, and they leaned until they could lean no more, and their branches snapped right off. Right off onto power lines, roofs, houses, cars, etc. It happened in the middle of the night, and in my dreaming stupor, I thought construction workers had chosen to work in our street at 4 am. But no, the sound was branches falling all around all night and continuing for the next few days. I have come to realize I really really like electricity, especially when it is really really cold outside.


Grammie Retta and PaPa's house where we stayed during the black out. Anna loved being at their house! She got to play with Great-Grandma Rosie, Grammie Retta, PaPa, Auntie Taylor, and the "kit-kitties" Middie and Ivey. I think she really enjoyed having lots of people around all the time (a chip off the mama block, I guess.)

Here is Anna with Grammie Retta...she has been digging limes recently.

Playing with Uncle Brendan's old wooden duck.

"Music...please!"



No comments: