Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Adapting

Usually a phone conversation between Mike and Anna when he is at work goes something like this:

Anna: Hi Daddy!
Mike: Hi Anna! It's good to hear from you.
Anna: Yeah...
Mike: What did you do today?
Anna: I went to school.
Mike: What did you do there?
Anna: I was swinging on the red swing!
Mike: Are you playing with Mama?
Anna: Yeah...we are coloring and painting.
Mike: Great! Have a good time. I love you.
Anna: (kiss noise) Bye Daddy!

Tonight, Anna and I were busy drawing with chalk on her easel when it was time to call Daddy and check in. Anna was so interested in drawing that she didn't want to stop but she also didn't want to hurt Mike's feelings, I guess. So, here was their phone conversation:

Anna: Hi Daddy. I'm coloring with Mama.
Mike: Oh you are?
Anna: Yes, I'm busy. I'm coloring.
Mike: It's good to hear from you. How are you doing today?
Anna: Fiiiine.
Mike: Good.
Anna: I'll talk to you later, Daddy, okay? (kiss noise and then she gave the phone back to me)

She said it all very sweetly but her intent couldn't be missed! We had a good laugh about this and wondered when she had turned from a toddler to a little girl with the ability to maneuver through a phone conversation to reach the desired end, cordially...She is growing and changing, and we are adapting.

No comments: